Dermaplaning is an effective and safe exfoliation procedure, that uses a sterile surgical scalpel to remove excess dead skin and vellus peach fuzz hairs. The procedure is only performed on the face. The procedure makes skin look and feel smoother and will reduces the appearance of acne scars.
Vellus hairs are a type of human that are fine, short, light coloured or translucent, and non pigmented that develop from childhood and are found on most areas of the body. Their growth is not, in contrast to terminal hairs, affected or dictated by hormones. Vel- lus hair is the technical term for “Peach Fuzz”, Vellus hairs are usually no longer than two millimetres, and their follicles are not associ- ated with sebaceous glands. The shafts of vellus hairs are roughly the same or smaller than their internal root sheaths while the bulb of the follicle are located at the upper dermal part of the skin.
What are the benefits of Dermaplaning?
- Immediate results, the skin has a refreshed and glowing appearance.
- Removes vellus facial hair which can absorb both dirt and environmental toxins
- Aids smooth application of makeup.
- Removes keratinised skin cells (dead skin cells) and enhances the natural shedding of skin
- Stimulates blood and lymph flow, thereby increasing the ability of the skin to absorb product
- Stimulates the skin’s immune response and improves elasticity and texture
- Softens the appearance of fine lines, wrinkles, and open pores
- Reduces the appearance of hyper pigmentation
Pre treatment advice:
- Please come to your appointment with clean skin, free of makeup.
- Please do not drink alcohol 24 hours prior to the treatment.
- Please avoid blood thinning medications 48 hours prior to treatment. These include aspirin, ibuprofen, Advil and other anti-inflammatory drugs. Never stop taking medication prescribed by your doctor without his or her consent.
- Facial waxing may be performed no less than 48 hours before the procedure, no less .
- Electrolysis treatment should be undergone no less than 7 days before the procedure.
- AHA products and retinoids should be avoided no less than 2 weeks prior to the procedure.
- Microdermabrasion should not be performed within 2 weeks of procedure.
- Laser treatments and associated peels may occur no less than 4-6 weeks prior to procedure.
- Please wait 2 weeks if you have had Botox or dermal filler injections
- No sun beds or direct sunlight at least 1 week before or after having any treatments.
- Please do-not come to the appointment if you feel unwell, have a fever, sickness bug, cold or flu.